"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things." (Ph 4:8)
Christian meditation dwells on what has already been revealed in creation or inspired revelation. Whereas other forms of meditation are seeking some new truth to be revealed. It is very important to not confuse the two. The purpose of Christian Meditation is to nourish man with an understanding of God and His Revealed Will (not to seek for some previously unrevealed truth), and to give man spiritual joy and strength through such nourishment (cf. Ps 1:1-3; Is 40:28-31). This nourishment is spoken of by Jesus, when tempted by Satan: “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’” (Matt 4:4)
We should reflect upon God’s Word in a thoughtful way, appropriate its truths personally and apply them to our life. Below are some examples of meditation in the Bible.
Isaac meditated in the field at eventide - Gen 24:63
Joshua was charged by God to mediate "day and night" - Josh 1:8
The "blessed man" in Psalms 1 is one who meditates - Ps 1:1-2
David became wiser than his teachers through meditation - Ps 119:99
Paul commanded Timothy to "meditate on these things" - 1 Ti 4:15
Sample routine for meditation
- Choose a place that is quiet and free from distractions.
- Choose a time that will allow you to not be or feel rushed.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Pray prior to your meditation, perhaps also read a passage from the Bible to give you a focus for your meditation.
- Do 6 to 8 rounds of Regular Breathing (breathe in counting to 6, hold to a count of 6, breathe out counting to 6).
- Relax your mind and open all thoughts to Jesus.
- Meditate for 10 to 15 minutes (this time can be increased or decreased based on personal preference).
- Do stretching and any other form of exercise that you do daily.